Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Baby Fat


Baby Fat

by: Arch Nemesis


She wrote graffiti on the walls of my uterus
Art investments
Tangled in our Siamese intestines
and called my waistline
Bull-ish
Needle-nosed intimidation to my calcium intake
With fat rolls on her pay roll
She was her father’s child
And my baby fat
Daddy half Rican part negro
Mama be Rican too other half Nigerfied
Creation of artistic proportions
Hope personified
She is 2 wholes
Destined to leave a legacy
Although she’s just
Jiggly jello spicy jalapeƱos
He gave her sugar at night
heart burn affirmed the spice
Hope
was what every girl was made of
She be my reason to stay home from class
Cause I got nauseous at the sight of math
I passed
Hush little baby don’t say a word
I know they said that your Daddy will deny you
But for now,
Just F**k what you heard
Cause mama will be here always
And if that mocking bird don’t sing
Mama will still love you without your daddy’s ring
I’m glad I uttered those words to a stretch mark in the shape of a heart through swollen breasts without a promise
Cause mother Hubbard
Stored emergency money in her cupboard
For girls like me who
Hung around that lady who lived in the shoe
Cause I had myself a baby with whom I didn’t know what to do
And I loved her through my tears
Carressed her through my fears
Told her I would see her again
And I sent her on her way
She’s with her grandmother now
Great-great grandmother too
So I’m not worried
Just missing my baby fat
Never tried to lose the shape that once housed Hope
Afraid she’d fly down on the wings of Gabriele to tell me I was wrong
So I kept the home of future generations but too afraid to lease out to new tenants cause I don’t want to give up on Hope
Afraid that her departure done wash all the spiders away
So I hold on to my baby fat like I’ve got hope back
And a decade done come and gone
Proof apparent that no one is home
She’s not coming back
She whispered this in dreams of purple sunflowers and fuchsia daffodils
Told mama to gone on and be happy
Guilt gone
She flapped her wings to put the wind at my back when I run
I’ve got to put her legacy in the mouths of babes
And if I stand in a choice of Roe v Wade I choose both
For I would row across any ocean
And wade through the depths of hell to hug her
Tell her I love her
And tell her I held on for so long
And that she will always be
My baby fat.

1 comment: